Welcome to the CSTA K-12 CS Standards Wiki Page! Please note that only members who are signed in and have been granted access to this page may provide additions/edits. This page will be updated as we go along, so please feel free to bookmark it for easy access. Thank you for your interest in the CSTA K-12 CS Standards.
CSTA has created and published national K-12 CS standards of computer science learning objectives to guide/inform teachers and administrators in the design and implementation of CS activities integrated into existing curriculum and as stand-alone courses.
- The CSTA K-12 CS Standards were originally published in 2011 and were based on the 2003 Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Model Curriculum.
2016 Standards Revision
The standards were scheduled for a routine revision in 2015-2016. The task force was formed during August-September 2015. The task force consists of Educators with diversity of experience.
- Three K - 5 classroom CS educators (one of whom is a grade level lead)
- Three 6 - 8 classroom CS educators (one of whom is a grade level lead)
- Three 9 - 12 classroom CS educators (one of whom is a grade level lead)
- One community college CS educator (who is working with the 9-12 grade level team)
- One university CS educator (who is working with the 9-12 grade level team)
- One district-level CS educator (co-chair with K -12 expertise)
- One state-level CS educator (co-chair with 6 - 12 expertise)
- Two CSTA Staff (Deputy Executive Director/Chief Operating Officer and Project Manager)
The Revision Process
- Conduct a gap analysis between the CSTA K-12 CS Standards and the Framework’s concepts/practices
- Evaluate and update 2011 CSTA K-12 CS Standards
- Is the standard inappropriate now?
- Is the standard appropriate at a different level?
- Is the standard at the appropriate level of Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy?
- Is the standard measureable?
- remove, rewrite, reposition as necessary
- Consider new standards in areas not included in 2011
- Respond to/incorporate feedback on 2011 CSTA K-12 CS Standards
- Check for alignment with K-12 CS Framework statements
Standards Revision Inputs
- 2011 CSTA K-12 CS Standards
- Feedback on 2011 CSTA K-12 CS Standards
- K-12 CS Framework (draft concepts and practices)
- Achieve’s input on writing quality standards
- Other national standards: e.g., UK - CAS
- State standards: AR, FL, MA, MD, WA, etc.
- 2013 Association for Computing Machinery CS Curricula (Higher Ed)
- Other standards: Common Core Math and Science, ISTE, etc.
Public Review Periods
- CSTA held an informal public review period in September 2015. The Standards Revision Task Force used the feedback from this initial view as a starting point during their first writers' meeting in December 2015.
- CSTA held a more formal public review period between February 16 and March 3, 2016. The feedback was collected and presented to the task force members during a second writers' meeting in March 2016.
- Task force members will meet in the first week of March to evaluate all feedback.
- A third review period was held April 6-20, 2016. This review was extended through May 4, 2016.
- CSTA released the 2016 CSTA K-12 CS Standards at the 2016 CSTA Annual Conference in San Diego, CA, July 10-12.
- The Standards Revision task force is currently evaluating next steps.
General Inquiry Feedback Form
CSTA welcomes your questions, as well as any feedback about how to improve the K-12 CS Standards or the revision process. Thank you for your valuable time!